EVER wondered how to enter The Fashion Chute Competition? Frocking up for the races could win a man and woman more than $40,000 worth of prizes. Here’s how to get a chance to win as well as tips from this year’s judges on what they’re looking for.
HOW TO ENTER:
Sydney’s fashionistas will be photographed for immediate entry to the competition and the chance to be selected and crowned overall winner in The Fashion Chute. Simply visit The Fashion Chute on either Championships Day 1 (Saturday 01 April) or on Championships Day 2 — Longines Queen Elizabeth Stakes (Saturday 08 April) at Royal Randwick and you will be automatically entered into the competition.
WHAT YOU WIN:
The first 40 contestants to enter the competition on each day will receive a personalised fashion illustration by either Stephanie Baynie or Alexandra Nea. The lucky overall winner will win more than $40,000 worth of prizes, including return Emirates flights to Europe, a Vogue Australia styling session, a Ginger and Smart voucher, a Longines Chantilly race day experience and a luxury Moët & Chandon VIP cellar tour in France.
TIPS ON HOW TO WIN
Robert Carroll, designer behind Strand Hatters (advice for men)
1) I like people to wear local designers, if possible
2) I’m really into mixing fabrics, specifically with accessories, such as a pocket square, tie, or
3) No white shoes, that’s a red flag right off the bat for me
4) I love a hat, but it’s not absolutely compulsory for a man. Since men’s grooming is so big
now, as long as their hair is properly styled, men can go sans hat.
5) If opting for a hat, make sure it is felt, not straw.
Alexandra and Genevieve Smart, designers behind Ginger and Smart (advice for men/women)
1) Create a modern and unique interpretation of race wear
2) Polished grooming
3) Style your look with a clever edit of elevated accessories
4) Be brave. Explore print and colour combinations or play with new proportions
5) Enjoy yourself
Nerida Winter, celebrity milliner (advice for women)
1) Investing in good quality really shows. You don’t necessary need to break the bank, but
having an eye for luxe fabric and construction is essential.
2) Make sure you’re dressed in season appropriate attire, that goes for your apparel as well as
your accessories, specifically headwear.
3) Look to the runways for inspiration, but be sure to remember that while being bold is
important, there’s a fine line between looking chic and looking like you’re going to a
4) Enlist the advise of an expert when selecting your head piece and avoid the temptation to do
5) Accessories are the key to creating your own personal style. This year, there is a return of
the statement piece, but be sure to focus on just one statement, whether it be an accessory
or your frock.